Translating the Complexities of the Korean Language
A dozen dialects of the same language will require a translation service that can connect with cultures, not just communicate words. For the Korean language, CQ fluency’s approach to the world of written translation is the most accurate way to reach a market that spans two countries on the same peninsula divided by vast cultural differences.
Understanding the Difficulties of Translating Korean
As the North and South Korean cultures grew apart during the twentieth century, so did the language. Both countries speak Korean, but the South’s willingness to adopt words from other nations is much broader than North’s, resulting in an ever-changing mode of communication. The result is a language that may appear straightforward, but is very complex at the cultural level and requires deep cultural knowledge to correctly translate.
In the North, residents speak the Pyongyang dialect, while in the South, most speak the Seoul dialect. However, due to the open nature of the South, there are a total of five major distinctions in the language among the South’s 50 million residents that have developed over time. These distinctions carry themselves over to other countries, like the United States, causing regional dialects to exist even in these other countries.
The Korean language itself is also quite unique. Though it may appear similar to other Asian languages, includes 14 consonants, 10 vowels and words are written in blocks of characters – not symbols like Chinese, and not words of varying letters like English.
Over the years the language has changed within itself. For instance, the spelling of “no” has been changed twice, from aniyo to anio, then back to the original of aniyo. “Thank you” was once gomewayo, then expanded into gomaweoyo. Hangul, the written form of the Korean language, was developed in the 15th century but not adopted by the country as its official writing system until the 20th century.
As one can expect, an ever-changing language requires deep cultural knowledge to accurately decipher. The differences between North and South Korea may be vast, but CQ fluency’s ability to translate languages and adapt to cultures will ensure the correct message, not just “words,” is translated.
One of the key differentiators for CQ fluency is that we understand these cultural differences and are able to translate both language and local linguistic variations and concepts. We are experts in both language and culture, ensuring an accurate Korean translation every time. This means more effective communication, resulting in improved healthcare and ultimately savings for the providers with greater consumer compliance to policy and/or guidelines.
About CQ fluency
CQ fluency is a communications company that is passionate for culture, diversity and people. We are cultural and linguistic experts in the healthcare industry, helping clients communicate wellness to a diverse multicultural market. Our services are marked by:
- Our translation management process, certified to ISO 9001 and 17100 standards which guarantees the highest standards of translation accuracy and quality
- Our ability to guide you in the process of achieving Section 508 compliance
- Our competitive pricing and quick turnarounds to ensure deadlines are met
- Our expert translation services for Korean and over 150 other languages
- Translators that are hand picked and regularly evaluated to ensure superior quality Korean Language Translation each and every time
Our services span from document translation, to phone interpretation, to linguistic validation and include:
- Document translation: From medical records to product packaging, our document translation and DTP teams can help you translate and publish in over 100 languages.
- 508 Compliance: Specific translation services to ensure that healthcare information is accessible to users of all languages (Read more about 508 Compliance here)
- Website Localization: Whether you are starting afresh or updating legacy websites, our website localization teams ensure online success whatever the language.
- Phone Interpretation: When serving customers and clients over the phone, language barriers may sometimes prove daunting. CQ fluency offers professional phone interpretation services that remove that barrier.
- Transcreation: Transcreation is the art of mixing translation with creation to convey concepts from one language to another. CQ fluency works with teams of linguists to apply transcreation to advertising materials reaching a multicultural or international audience.
- Linguistic Validation: CQ fluency’s linguistic validation processes are based on self-correcting iterations that deliver psychometric equivalence, keeping in accordance with new FDA and EMEA guidelines for Patient Reported Outcomes and clinical trials.
For a comprehensive list of our services and more detailed descriptions of our service offerings, please visit our services page.
At CQ fluency, we can provide translation services across industries, but specialize in areas throughout the healthcare industry including:
- Health Insurance: Engage your Korean speaking members in their own language, with their own cultural reference points. CQ fluency’s Korean Translation Service paired with our Cultural Adaptation Service will lead you to a clear and meaningful connection with members.
- Pharmaceutical: Korean Language Translation through CQ fluency guarantees that your pharmaceutical communication is understandable, informative, medically accurate, and compliant to regulatory requirements.
- Medical Devices: Partnering with CQ fluency gives you access to over 1,500 highly qualified medical translators and editors who will help you navigate the highly complex process of bringing a medical device to market.
- Government: Government agencies can use CQ fluency’s Korean Translation Service to improve the lives of primary Korean speakers by ensuring that government healthcare communications promoting wellness, disease awareness, and social behavior modification are clear and concise.
- Marketing & Advertising: Bring your brand to Korean speaking communities in any location.
For more information on CQ fluency’s unique approach to Korean Language Translation or to ask any questions please fill out our contact form at the top of the page.
If you would like a quote, please see our quote request page.